Thursday, October 18, 2012

Déjà Garlic Bread

I would like to take this time to apologize.

Why am I apologizing? Well, one, because I feel like I'm neglecting all 9 of you who regularly check out my blog. I've been crazy busy with moving and I'm missing out on primo fall-time recipe opportunities. So for that, I'm deeply sorry.

And two, because I’m posting about Garlic Bread again.

I know, I know. All I've been posting about lately is garlic and bread, and I really do feel terrible about it. To think that I’m making you sit there and look at all these posts talking about the same thing over and over again, I feel like a monster. Like I’m holding you against your will and just blatantly abusing your eyes with the same crap while trying to make it better by putting it in a different toilet. I know, it’s too much garlic, right? You agree? Is it too much garlic?


No! The answer is NO!


Geeze, are you kidding me?! There is no such thing as too much garlic! And you know what, if I were to post about garlic for a month straight, I really don’t think you’d have any objections, would you? Yeeeeeeeeah, that’s what I thought. And don’t think I didn't see you there agreeing with what I was just saying, I know who you are and you should be ashamed of yourself.

“…Same crap, different toilet...”

How dare you say that about garlic bread!


Garlic Bread Part II:


                       1 each ~ Baguette Loaf
            4 tablespoons ~ Garlic Oil
                1 teaspoon ~ Dried Oregano
                1 teaspoon ~ Dried Thyme
            2 tablespoons ~ Grated Parmesan
          generous pinch ~ Salt & Pepper



Notes:


  • If for some reason you don’t know how to make garlic oil, allow me to guide you to my last post, The Garlic of the Gods. When you are done with that simple, 45 minute task, you will have enough garlic oil for this and then some.
  • If it’s too tedious to put garlic and oil in an oven for 45 minutes, I understand. Replace the garlic oil with regular extra virgin olive oil, and add either 2 tablespoons of chopped garlic, or 1 tablespoon of garlic powder and add it as you would add the dried herbs. Just remember, the garlic oil is what’s going to give it a better, deeper flavor.
  • I used to use butter in this recipe instead of oil. But the oil doesn't take anything away from it and you feel a little better after you've had your 5th or 6th piece.
  • You can really play this recipe by ear. If you don't like oregano, replace it with something you do like. If you love it, add more. If you want the bread to have a little kick, add red pepper flakes, etc. Consider this, like many other recipes I give you, as more of a guideline.


Alright, to get the ball rolling:



  • Set the oven to 350. Cut your baguette in half lengthwise as if you were making a huge sandwich. You don't have to use the whole loaf if it'll be too much, so don't feel like you have to make the whole thing. I know baguettes are fairly long.






  • Now take the garlic oil and give it a nice drizzle on the bread. Don't put too much though or you'll have an oily, greasy mess that no one would want to take a second bite into. Next, depending on how salty your oil is, add the salt and pepper, and then the herbs, then the cheese. You want to sprinkle everything evenly around so it's all covered. You can grate some fresh Parmesan on there instead of the already grated stuff you buy, either way you will win.





  • After everything is partying together on the bready dance floor, pop it in the oven for 8-12 minutes. Check it at 8, and if by 10 or 11 it's not browning yet, go ahead and turn on the broiler for about 2 minutes. But watch it! The broiler is your best friend for the minute or two you need it, but if you forget about it, you're going to be cursing it out for the rest of the night.




I don't need to tell you what you're looking for. Once you see the bread bubbling and the top and edges crisping up to a nice, golden brown, you'll know that your job is done and that whoever you're making this for will fall madly in love with you.

Because that, my friends, is the power of Garlic.

1 comment:

  1. ugh....garlic bread. the bane of my existence:( it gives me HORRENDOUS heartburn. the kind where you need pills AND liquid medication. can't it...but that doesn't atop me from smelling it. GOD i hate getting old.

    ReplyDelete